Sunday, July 24, 2011

Chizakaya Restaurant Review.

Chicago Restaurant Review

So I went to Chizakaya a Japanese Restaurant and Pub.  Chicago doesn't have too many Japanese Restaurants so I was thrilled to check it out.  The restaurant had a quick- ass mural on their wall/ceiling, and the overall feel was modern asian but still quaint.  There was a back room that seemed to be for larger parties or private parties I wasn't too sure, but was awesome is the back party gets to see the kitchen cook the food from their table. 

I went with a friend.  We shared Sake, which was overpriced.  I can admit I am a little spoiled by the Sushi madness in Lakeview...  I wanted to try everything on the menu because they had a lot of crazy things beef tongue, pig ear, black edamame...Oh, and the menu had a little glossary of items from the menu to help you figure out what things were. 

We ordered:
Bonito (skipjack tuna) tataki, spicy ponzu-this was my least favorite.  The tuna flakes kinda tasted fishey and I don't like fish that is fishy.   Hamachi, bone marrow, garlic, ume boshi-this was AMAZING.  The roasted garlic was so good.  All of the flavors came together quite nicely.  This was my friend's least favorite.  

Crab crusted salmon, asparagus, tare gelee-this dish was full of flavor. The salmon was too die for but the other two dishes were way more original with different tastes.
Ramen Noodles- yup, you can order noodles and broth.  Can't go wrong with Ramen.

Overall, I would recommend the place to check out as an experience BUT I found it to be too pricey.  I am student but with these small choices our bill came out to $90! A little too much in my opinion.  Service was ok to good, food wait was SLLLLLOOOOOOOWW. BUT it was 8 on a Friday so to be expected.  Good thing for the sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment